Monday, November 10, 2008

36 all year long


I turned 36 on Sunday. I am not sure what the significance of this year is, but it got me thinking about where I am at this point in life. I think that when I got to my 30's I found a peace inside that hadn't been there before. I can't explain if that peace came from life experiences, having children, or growing in my marriage to Rich. You know, all those years wondering if you'll ever figure out who you are... the 30's have got me there. Of course, I can always learn more, work harder, be more giving and compassionate, and spend less time sweating the small stuff.


This decade has taught me to appreciate the family and friends in my life; to appreciate the 15 years of love I have shared with Rich through the good times and the hard times (he reminded me on Sunday that 15 years ago, I got a puppy and a rental trailer house in Hollywood trailer court- we've come a long way); to stop and dance with the kids in the kitchen even when there are chores to do; and to remember that this moment is the only one we are guaranteed.


I looked into the eyes of a patient that I was putting a PICC line in on Sunday. She was 36. She had two children, a boy and a girl. She had no hair and a big quilt covering her while she shivered. I know that the place she would most love to be is at home, playing in the leaves with her kids, snuggling with her husband, and sleeping in her own bed. The small things really are the big things.


Thank you to my family and friends for a wonderful day- for the phone calls, emails, friendship, and love. I will have a great year!

5 comments:

jennie said...

I love you Stacey!!! I hope you had a great birthday!! When are we going to do lunch again???:)

Melissa said...

Happy belated Birthday!!!! You're right, so many things to be thankful for, I feel the same way.

Amy Moore said...

Happy B-day!! You made me cry! You are so awesome, you deserve every bit of happiness God gives you!

Janine said...

So True...So True :)

Love ya,

Janine

Libby said...

Hey...happy birthday! I didn't know it had arrived. I love your blog too! How fun. You have a great family.