Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy Nurse Week


Happy Nurse Week to all my nurse friends!!! For those of you, especially "the ones" that I graduated with, can you believe it's been 14 years? The kids wanted to see what I look like at work, so I had one of my coworkers take some pictures on Saturday. I place PICC lines, which are a type of central line that runs from a vein in the arm to the superior vena cava/right atrium. These lines are used in trauma patients, cancer patients, patients with infections, patients that need feeding through their veins, etc. We service both the University of Utah Hospital, the Hunstman Cancer Hospital and Institute, and the U Orthopedic Hospital. In all, we place about 3,000 lines per year.

I am so lucky to do a job that I love, and that works so well for our family. Working about 5 days a month allows me to be a mom and wife, and also to keep my skills up. I have some pretty fun coworkers, too. There are 7 of us that do this job at the U. 3 guys and 4 girls--all with big personalities and huge hearts.

A huge thank you to my parents and my friends for seeing me through the hard times of nursing school all those years ago. I swear I wanted to quit nursing school at one point. I told my dad that I wanted to quit and become a Mary Kay lady. He said, "you can be a Mary Kay lady as soon as you get your degree". Yes, that was some of the best advice I've ever received.

So, here's to all the nurses out there, doing the best we can for our patients and their families. For us, each working day is a reminder to be grateful for our health and our many other blessings.

1 comment:

Lindy said...

Those are some great shots of you. We are so lucky to have people like you around to do that job. I'm glad you followed through on your dad's advice and didn't become a Mary Kay lady. It was worth the effort I am sure.