The week of Oktoberfest was hectic, with work at the U, doing flu clinics, getting Cole to football, and being at the school for an entire day doing vision screenings. I volunteered many hours at the skating rink during the competition, and was basically like a chicken with my head cut off that entire week.
Sunday morning after the skating competition, I was sitting at the kitchen table reading the paper and drinking coffee. I received a text from Brian, one of my coworkers, around 9:15. It simply said, "how are you doing today?". I quickly text back, "good, how are you?". As soon as I hit the send button, a light went off in my head and I realized that I was supposed to have been at work at 8 that morning!
I went from having fuzzy teeth and my fuzzy robe on at 9:15, to clocking in at the U at 10:01. I had a range of emotions going through my system during that time... I laughed, I cried, and I used a few profanities. In 16 years of being a nurse, I have never forgotten to go to work! Luckily, Brian was just happy that I hadn't been in an accident on my way to work (and will always have something to hold over my head and joke about!) and my boss was very understanding. Rich and the kids will have something to tease me about for years to come, as
I "never forget things". Yes, I am only human, but I sure felt like an idiot.
Sunday morning after the skating competition, I was sitting at the kitchen table reading the paper and drinking coffee. I received a text from Brian, one of my coworkers, around 9:15. It simply said, "how are you doing today?". I quickly text back, "good, how are you?". As soon as I hit the send button, a light went off in my head and I realized that I was supposed to have been at work at 8 that morning!
I went from having fuzzy teeth and my fuzzy robe on at 9:15, to clocking in at the U at 10:01. I had a range of emotions going through my system during that time... I laughed, I cried, and I used a few profanities. In 16 years of being a nurse, I have never forgotten to go to work! Luckily, Brian was just happy that I hadn't been in an accident on my way to work (and will always have something to hold over my head and joke about!) and my boss was very understanding. Rich and the kids will have something to tease me about for years to come, as
I "never forget things". Yes, I am only human, but I sure felt like an idiot.
2 comments:
Oh Stacey, it's SO nice to know you are not perfect. What a great story:)
Oh...I totally know how you are feeling!! I feel like I am going to lose it! I have forgot to do things lately as well. It has been a good reminder that I need to slow down. I guess all we can do is laugh. Hang in there.
Post a Comment